Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

"I'm unavailable right now..."

Today I'm going to spout off about something I'm seeing happen more and more frequently.


And that is...
the fact that people are putting their work email addresses on their resumes.

Ummmmm, duh.
This is just really not a good idea.
I mean really.

Although I'm usually pretty alert and can "pay attention to details" like the best of 'em, I've only been noticing this trend lately because people have been setting up their OOO (Out of Office) email alerts and they've been bouncing back at me. For example, yesterday I got one pinged back to me from "Joe".

Joe put himself on Monster.com and I called and then emailed him. His voice mail didn't say anything out of the ordinary like he'd be on vacation for a week etc, but 3 seconds after I hit send on the email I had composed to him, I got back this diddy:

"Thank you for your email. I will be out of the office from January 23rd to February 6th and will have limited access to email. Please contact my co-worker Philippe ______________- at 818-555-1212 if you need assistance. I will contact you as soon as I can or upon my return to the office."

So do you see what happened here?
Joe the Schmuck-Wad put his work email address on his resume.
And then I got the OOO auto reply treatment.
What a freaking moron.
Why would anybody do this?

It makes me want to call Philippe up and say "Uh yeah, hi Philippe- I know you're overwhelmed and all, what with having to do Joe the Schmuck-Wad's work on top of your normal work load, but I just wanted you to be aware that he's busy looking for a job as his resume is currently up on Monster. I was thinking about calling him in for an interview, but after I saw that he listed his work email address and got his out of office reply which directed me straight to you, I'm thinking that he must be pretty stupid, so I think I'll pass on speaking with him. If you could just pass that message along, that would be great. Thanks so much!!"

And I think I'd say the whole thing like this dude from one of the single greatest movies ever:




How's that for an idea??



Peace out my peeps.

No comments:

Post a Comment